Mycelium is the reproductive part of a mushroom, a network of threads of a fungi. Mycelium can be grown on basically any kind of organic waste.
What you’ll need
To get started on growing mycelium, you need:
- Mushroom roots (you can cut off tiny slices from the base of any mushroom)
- Food (flour, cardboard, coffee grounds, peanut butter, there are many possibilities to experiment with)
- A sealable container for the mycelium to grow in
- An oven to kill the mycelium in once you’re satisfied with the result (killing it is necessary to stop the growing process)
Also check out Maud Bausier’s (previous fablab intern) documentation on growing mycelium.
- Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms by Paul Stametz